Friday, August 12, 2011

Shaken Iced Passion Tea Lemonade Recipe

I finally did it. I almost replicated Starbucks Shaken Iced Passion Tea Lemonade Recipe. I say "almost" because it's not quite exactly the same, but it's pretty darn close.

If you remember from this post, I couldn't get enough of this refreshing summer drink, made with Tazo Passion Tea, Lemonade, and sweetened with sugar. Thank you once again Miss Christy for introducing me to this tart treat. But for a few bucks per cup I wondered how difficult could it be to make at home?

After some online investigating and talking with my friend Heather, who also fell in love with it, I decided to try it. One youtube video was very helpful and the basis for my recipe (the lady on the video tends to ramble a bit but she was very thorough in her explanation).



The key is the Tazo Passion Tea concentrate. I brought 1 gallon of water to a boil in a large cooking pot and added 16 teabags. 
I let it steep for a few minutes, removed the tea bags and let it cool. Then I poured it into a 1 gallon pitcher and put it in the fridge. 
Photo courtesy of wegmans.com
In another pitcher, I made Wegmans Pink Lemonade (from concentrate).You could use regular lemonade if you like.

Then it was time to experiment with the ratio of tea, lemonade and sugar. I filled my giant reusable PBA free cup about 3/4 with ice. Then I poured in the tea concentrate to fill the cup 3/4 full, maybe a little more. Then I added a small pour of lemonade. I found out that there really isn't a whole lot of lemonade in this drink. So don't overdo it. To finish it off, one teaspoon of real sugar was enough sweetener for me. Maybe you'll like more/less. Give it a good stir or shake it up in a shaker if you have time.

I have been enjoying one of these every other morning or so for the past two weeks! Sooo refreshing. And tart. Yet sweet. If you like a "magical blend of hibiscus, lemongrass, rose hips, mango, and passion fruit flavors" (like the tea box states), give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. I melt my sugar in the hot steeping tea mixture. Rather than add it afterwards. And fresh squeeze of lemon from my lemon tree. After cooling, I taste again for any sugar additions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!