Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fresh Peach Cobbler

While my Mom was visiting us this summer, we tried our hand at a peach cobbler recipe. She brought home a huge basket of fresh, very ripe peaches from the farmers market for $3. Peaches are at their peak in July and August. We knew we had to make something good since we suddenly had an abundance of this sweet stone fruit. I found a recipe online and we tailored it to our liking.




Ingredients:
8-10 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
1 1/4 cup of sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 stick butter
Cinnamon

 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
Arrange sliced peaches in a large baking dish.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over top.
Mix together dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
Add egg to dry ingredients and mix until crumbly.
Sprinkle evenly over peaches. 
Crumble/drizzle softened or melted butter over top.
Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake about 40-50 minutes or until topping is crisp (to your liking).  




When it came out of the oven it didn't look quite how I expected. It had more of a caramelized sugar topping as opposed to a crumbly-apple-crisp-style topping. We let it cool and gave it a try. It was delicious! 




Still warm from the oven. It was just missing one thing...


A scoop of vanilla ice cream! 


I'm glad we tried this recipe. It turned out to be a great way to use summer peaches. And I always enjoy cooking with my Mom. I think I ate a helping for breakfast for the next couple days! If you have some peaches on hand and are looking for a sweet treat, give this cobbler a try! 


*The original recipe said you could use 1 large can of peaches with juice instead of fresh, but we haven't tried that method. I'm curious how it would compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!