Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sonnenberg Gardens


On day two of our anniversary celebration, we took a drive to Sonnenberg Gardens & Mansion State Historic Park, in Canandaigua, NY. The weather was perfect and the scenery was absolutely gorgeous. As soon as we arrived, I wondered if I had enough free space on my camera. Everywhere I turned, there was a different flower, garden, pond or path, just begging to have it's picture taken. So, that's what I did. For those of you who prefer picture books, feast your eyes. When we crossed the entrance, we were greeted by these sunny black-eyed susan.


Our first stop happened to be the hydrangea house, which should have been called hydrangea heaven. One of my absolute favorites! There was row after row of amazing colors and blossoms. I wanted to take them all home with me. I felt like Agnes, from Despicable Me - "It's so FLUFFY!"





Just look at the delicate little buds on this one. Waiting to burst into full petals.


Next, we walked through a tropical greenhouse. I felt like I was in Florida for a moment.


My Love, standing next to some cascading ferns and foliage.
 


There was a cactus (cacti?) greenhouse, full of exquisite shapes, sizes and prickly things. Reminded me of Arizona. So many unique species!


These ones growing out of the ground were huge! Dad, what are they called? I forget.



I would hate to accidentally run into one of these things in the dark. Ouch!


Orchids! What extraordinary flowers. 


I have never seen ones with a zebra pattern like this. Simply Beautiful.


We were taken by surprise when we rounded the corner to find a pond full of coy. Love their colors too!



They even had bouganvilla, another one of my favorites. These trailing beauties remind me of India.


Outside, we headed to the Japanese Garden. Wish we could have gone inside this little tea house.


Here we are, standing on the bridge overlooking some water lilies.


Why are lily pads so fascinating to me? Such pretty floating flowers too.


A beautiful little waterfall on the other side of a gazebo above.


A very cool looking fountain.


Then there was the rose garden. Aisles and aisles of roses. In every color. I have never seen so many in one place. (Pay no attention to the ladder and scaffolding in the background - ha! We didn't realize a few things would be under construction)



This is one of my favorite photos of the day. I love how open these roses are as they hang loosely against a wooden post.

 

What time was it? A little after 3pm I think. We were there for over 2 hours, enjoying the beautiful grounds and touring the mansion.



My handsome prince ascending a staircase up the stone tower. Like something right out of a fairy tale!



On our way out, we paused to admire the peaceful pond.


A truly beautiful way to spend an afternoon. Especially with the one you love. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. Those gardens are really stunning! Thanks for stopping by, I'm putting your link up now.

    Hugs,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!