Friday, July 9, 2010

Five Years and Counting


Five years ago today, Andrew and I said "I do," promising to spend the rest of our lives together. It still feels like it just yesterday that I was about to walk down the aisle, on the happiest day of my life. I absolutely love being married, to my best friend, and I look forward to every day that we spend together. Five years doesn't seem like a long time, especially when it's gone by so quickly. It's like I blinked, and here we are.

I couldn't have asked for a better life with the man I love. We have a home together (that he lets me decorate), with a big back yard that we both enjoy. Simple things, like a walk at the park, riding our bikes, watching a movie, getting ice cream, laughing at silly jokes - everything is better with him by my side. I know that God brought us together, in a way that only He could. A simple meeting in our college cafeteria, almost 7 years ago, started it all.

I'm still learning what it means to truly love someone, unconditionally. Andrew has been the greatest example of that to me. Never have I felt so loved, so accepted, so complete. Of course we have our "moments" like every couple does, and not every day is a magical. But the glue that keeps us together is knowing that we have God on our side. He is our real life example of true love in action.

I am amazed by the ways we compliment each other. From our personalities to our skill sets. The things that I am not good at, Andrew is. The tasks he doesn't like to do, I don't mind doing. The chores I don't like, he does for me. He encourages me in my creative pursuits. He teaches me about the wonderful world of sports. I like to cook and he likes to eat (ok, we both like to eat!). I think of more projects to do around the house and he helps me. He makes messes and I clean them up (kidding! Ok, not kidding). It works out pretty nicely.

Honestly though, marriage, though it takes commitment and work is such a learning ground. I have learned more about myself, who I am and who I want to be, by loving him and being in a relationship 'till death do us part. I know God is teaching both of us through each other. I'm so glad I get to walk this life with Andrew. Did I mention how handsome my husband is? Yeah, I am one lucky girl! Those baby blues get me every time. I pray that at least one of our future children has his eyes.

It has been an amazing first five years. We have taken trips together, visited family, spent time with great friends, got our first house (and a couple of cats), and too many wonderful memories and moments to recount. I say, bring on the next 5, 10, 50+ years!

Happy Anniversary Love. xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!