Saturday, October 8, 2016

I Like Gold...Invitations


I had the fun and privilege of designing a wedding invitation suite, using gold foil printing, for a couple in Texas. The sister of the bride contacted me three years ago, via my Etsy shop, to design her wedding invitations, so I was thrilled when I was contacted again. The wedding is today - happy wedding day! 


We started with a save the date earlier this year. The requested style and colors were hot pink and gold with a "love always" theme. Such a fun combination to work with! I incorporated a whimsical script font, a watercolor background and heart, with gold dots and a playful arrangement of wedding details. 




To correspond with the save the date, I designed an invitation, RSVP card, thank you card, and favor tags. (The above photos were wrapped in plastic, ready for shipping, which is why they appear so glossy)


This (unwrapped) thank you card really shows the sheen of the metallic gold foil. I love it! 


This project was one of the most exciting and challenging wedding invitations I've worked on. Thankfully, I have a skilled and very patient printer, who worked with me every step of the way, to get it perfect - even when we had to make multiple adjustments (more times than I'd like to admit!). The complexity of printing with gold foil, is having to set up multiple files for each piece. The example above shows the separate layers required to print gold foil with traditional ink. The intended finished product composite (left), the regular ink (center), and the gold foil (right). The type has to match up perfectly and be thick enough to avoid any gaps in the overlay.



The end result is beautiful, and worth the close attention to detail and the additional cost involved in achieving such an elevated look. Now that I've achieved success printing with gold foil, it's not as daunting as it used to be and I look forward to working with it again.

Congratulations to the bride and groom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!