Friday, December 20, 2013

Salt Dough Ornaments


Did you ever play with salt dough when you were a kid (aka knock off Play-Doh)? I forgot all about that stuff until I was perusing Pinterest and saw a few variations of salt dough ornaments. What a cute and easy idea! I made the dough with simple ingredients I already had on hand. I got out some cookie cutters and alphabet stamps and set to work crafting a batch of homemade ornaments. This blog was especially helpful

Ingredients:
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour

Directions:
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Mix ingredients together to form dough and kneed for 7-10 minutes. 
Roll out dough and cut shapes with cookie cutters. You can imprint different patterns and textures too. Be creative! 
Use a straw to poke a hole at the top for ribbon or string, before you bake.
Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 2 hours. 
Let cool completely before painting and decorating ornaments.






I was able to stamp LOVE, JOY and HOPE onto the dough. I even made a few stamped with OHL (the perks of having a short last name!). 






I painted both sides with gold and bronze craft paint and added a twine bow to each one. They look cute and very handmade, hanging on the tree. I also added them to gift wrapping. Isn't that fun? These would be a great project to make with kids. They could even be personalized wedding or party favors. Monograms would be pretty, too. Just don't eat them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!