Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Key

I found a canvas zipper pouch at a craft store with the simple message "being yourself is the key". I was drawn to the charming vintage key image, but something about the words spoke to me. A little cheesy, yes, but so true.

As elementary as this statement may be, it can be challenging to achieve. It got me thinking about how often I compare myself to others. Someone will always be more talented. More intelligent. More creative. More successful. More confident. Prettier. Funnier. Thinner. Happier. You can fill in the blank. There will always be someone out there doing it (whatever "it" may be) better. That's the danger of the comparison game. 

The key really is to be yourself. You. The person God purposefully created you to be. I am one of a kind. You are one of a kind. No one else has your gifts, your personality, your characteristics. I need to remind myself of that truth often. Instead of trying so hard to accomplish, impress, succeed or portray the "best" version of myself that I want people to see.  

God doesn't make mistakes. He made each of us exactly who we are. And He loves us more than we know.  

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14

Hold on to that truth. Know that you are wonderful and you are loved. Be who the LORD created you to be. That's the real key to being yourself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!