Tuesday, July 12, 2011

To Market

Summer is in full swing. Whoo hoo! “Summer, summer, summertime. Time to sit back and unwind….” (Will Smith version) I welcome the warm weather. The sunshine. Flowers in bloom. And fresh produce! There’s something wonderful about going to a farmers market and having a buffet of fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs to choose from (at prices you can actually afford). I get that kid-in-a-candy-store feeling and immediately want to buy everything in sight! 

The first weekend of July I ventured out to our public market, reusable bag in hand, cash in my pocket, ready to find some fresh treats. And that I did. Lemons for fresh squeezed lemonade. A bag of garlic to replenish my supply. Cucumbers and tomatoes for salads. A papaya, to take me back to our trip to the Dominican. Gerbera daisies, my favorite flowers. Fragrant cilantro for salsa. Limes and more mint for mojitos. I headed home with my arms full of perishable treasures. 

When I unpacked my goodies, the colors were too beautiful not to snap a few photos. I arranged a still life on my deck, admiring the different shapes, textures and colors. God’s creation is simply amazing.

Look at the inside of a papaya for example. Pinky-orange flesh with black seeds in the middle, a beautiful and unexpected contrast inside a not-so-sightly exterior. 

Gerbera daisies just make me happy. They have such pretty colors and unique centers.

Yes, I like you summertime. Very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!