Friday, July 22, 2011

No Complaining

It's so easy to complain. If you're anything like me, it's second nature. Why does negativity come so easily? It seems to surround me. One could argue it's our culture. Our "me" attitude. Our innate desire to get more, be more, do more. When are we truly grateful? Content? I'm preaching to the choir here. I take so much for granted, daily. Not because I want to or try to. It's our sinful human nature. "I was born this way," to quote Lady Gaga (but with a more accurate song meaning). 

Then there are moments in life that stop you in your tracks and make you remember how fragile this life is. How much you really do have to be thankful for. How little you have to complain about. The loss of a loved one. A family member with cancer. A tragic accident. A terminal child. It's very hard to make sense of these things. Sometimes I find myself choosing not to think about it. Not to feel. Because it's too difficult. I don't like pain. I think a common reaction is to ask God, why? But the truth is, God is there through it all. The good and the bad. The wonderful and the difficult. God knows it all, sees it all and is faithful through it all. Never changing. "The LORD is good to all: and His mercies are over all his works." Psalm 145:9. The reality is, we live in a fallen world, plagued with sin. None of us are guaranteed heath or happiness or exemption from pain or sadness. Many of us are so blessed with gifts (and they are gifts, from God) such as heath, a loving family, a spouse, a home, a job, a vehicle, food to eat. Yet we often take these things for granted. Myself included.

It's really about perspective. This life is short. It's also fragile. I am reminded of that saying, "Life is fragile, handle with prayer." A play on words with a lot of truth. I couldn't do this life without my Savior, Jesus Christ. Being able to wake up every day, knowing I am loved and forgiven, by the Creator of the Universe, is the hope that I hold on to. No matter what happens in this life, how difficult or how wonderful things may be, Heaven is waiting for me when my time is up. I don't want to spend my days complaining. What do I have to complain about? I'm forgiven! My sin has been paid for. "But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8. Talk about love. I already have the greatest gift I will ever receive - salvation. Complaining and having an ungrateful attitude is like a slap in the face to God. I'm the one who needs a slap in the face at times (figuratively speaking of course), to remind me who God is and who I am because of who He is.

My prayer lately is to have a more grateful heart, and to decrease my complaint department. It's easy to look at what others have, wishing for things and comparing myself. But that only plants seeds of discontentment and greed in my heart and mind. I want more of You God, and less of me. Recent events among friends and family have caused me to take a closer look at what's really important in life. My daily note-to-self is "No complaining!" Which usually lasts for a few minutes. But I figure if I keep telling myself, it will start to sink in. Who's with me? 

This post is a bit more serious than my usual topics. I have been encouraged by friends and other blogs to be honest and more "real." Which is both exciting and scary. I want this blog to be one that I would want to read. I'm going to try to share more "me" and show some more guts out here. 

Today, I am especially thankful for my family and friends, including those of you who took the time to visit read this. Life is fragile. Love the ones you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!