Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Salsa Recipe You Need

Salsa. The number one condiment in America. I wholeheartedly agree with that. I’ll go so far as to say that I love salsa. But it has to be good salsa. Not any ‘ol jar of liquefied tomatoes and onions. Lame. There are some bad ones out there. Fresh salsa is always the best. Some restaurants serve good salsa (some don't). If a restaurant has good salsa, then they’re OK in my book.

I like making my own, and I usually use a packet of Concord Foods Salsa Seasoning Mix. Just add tomatoes (fresh or canned) and onion. Embellish with some cilantro or other additions if you like. Easy cheesy.

I recently took my homemade salsa to the next level. I have had my eye one the Pioneer Woman’s Restaurant Style Salsa recipe for a while, but I never had all the ingredients on hand. After coming home from the public market with a giant bunch of fresh cilantro, it was time. I can’t get enough cilantro in my life. I know some people can’t stand it (Mom), but there’s just something about the aroma and intensity that heightens a dish. Especially salsa!  

Ree did an outstanding job detailing the recipe here (as always). If you love salsa like I do, you’ll want to make this. It does produce a large batch, which is perfect for sharing, because I usually consume an entire bowl in one sitting. Don’t judge. The only thing I might have added is a little more salt or perhaps another jalapeno. I don’t mind a more of a  kick. Get ready to never look at jar salsa the same again. Once you make this, and see how possible it is, you’ll never want to go back! Undelay! Ariba!

Ingredients:
  • 1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
  • 2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
  • 1/4 cup Chopped Onion
  • 1 clove Garlic, Minced
  • 1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
  • 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
  • 1/2 cup Cilantro (more To Taste!)
  • 1/2 whole Lime Juice
Directions:
Taken from The Pioneer Woman 
Note: this is a very large batch. Recommend using a 12-cup food processor, or you can process the ingredients in batches and then mix everything together in a large mixing bowl.
Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you'd like---I do about 10 to 15 pulses. Test seasonings with a tortilla chip and adjust as needed.
Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour. Serve with tortilla chips or cheese nachos.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!