Friday, June 25, 2010

DIY Shower Curtain


Some of you wonderful readers have been asking how to make a shower curtain. I'm delighted to share my do-it-yourself guide, because I love you guys. I really do. Get your supply lists and creative juices ready.

After shopping around for a shower curtain, I came to the conclusion that I didn't like any of them enough. Especially since it would be a focal point in my new bathroom. I was thinking about making one.


One day, while perusing the aisles of Marshalls (oh, how I love thee),  I stopped in my tracks when I saw this tablecloth. It was exactly what I was looking for! Unique pattern and the right colors. For $20, I knew I could make it work.

You will need some grommets, also known as eyelets. Joann Fabrics sells these little kits that come with little tools that you will need. I used extra-large rings. Just make sure they will fit over your shower curtain rings/hooks. Available in brass or silver, the kit comes with 10 grommets, but of course you need 12, so you will need to buy an extra pack of just grommets.



You will also need a hammer and a cement surface. No joke. I had to pound them together on my basement floor. 


Some type of medium weight interfacing and an iron.


I used these great dual shower curtain hooks that my Mom gave me from JCPenny. They are also available at Bed Bath and Beyond.
Make sure you have a shower curtain liner, which will act as your template. I found a white hotel style fabric shower curtain liner, also at Marshalls, for $6 (is there no end to your bountifulness Marshalls?). I don't know why I didn't think of a fabric liner years ago. Those plastic ones get so gross. Who wants to scrub that? I even tried those "Guaranteed to resist mildew" curtails. Fail. I'm giving this fabric one a chance, and when it needs cleaning, I'll throw it in the laundry and report back.


Start by selecting a piece of fabric that will be large enough to make a shower curtain. Standard size is 70 inches wide by 72 inches high. It can be a tablecloth, duvet cover, sheet, window curtain, whatever your little heart desires or finds in the clearance aisle.

Using the shower curtain liner as a guide, make sure it is the same length and height of your fabric. Hem the edges and adjust the size if needed. My tablecloth was too wide, so I had to shorten it and create a seam. Luckily, the border pattern made it appear seamless.

Cut a strip of interfacing, about two inches wide and as long as your curtain. Iron the interfacing strip to the BACK side of your soon-to-be-curtain at the very TOP. This will provide reinforcement for your grommets. (Don't you love my palm tree ironing board cover?)


I apologize, I didn't photograph this step. Clip your liner and fabric together temporarily with clothespins (or other clips), with the liner on top. Using a pencil, trace each hole onto the interfacing of your curtain fabric. Make sure top and sides are lined up. Mark all 12 holes.

Using an x-acto knife or sharp pair of scissors, cut out a small hole where you made each mark on your fabric. Don't cut it too big. Use the tube part of the grommet as a sizing guide. You want the grommet to fit SNUG. Even if you have to wedge the grommet into the fabric a little bit, it should be fine.  If the hole you cut is bigger than the grommet, it won't work.


Follow the directions on the back of the grommet kit for assembling the grommets. It takes some layering coordination. First, put the round little pedestal down on the cement floor. Then stack on top of it the grommet that has the tube. Then slip your fabric with pre-cut hole onto the grommet tube. Then put the flat grommet ring on top (make sure it is good side up). Then insert the long tool that came with the kit (short end in). Keeping everything centered and level, hold the tool in place and pound away with your hammer. This is where some elbow grease comes in. I would say try 15 to 20 drives with the hammer, then check to see if the ring has enclosed together. If not, hammer a couple more times. The tool may get stuck, but it can be wiggled out. If my directions sound confusing, the back of the box should help.

Repeat for all 12 rings. 
When you're done, it should look something like this.



You're ready to hang up your new shower curtain!


I am so happy with how this project turned out. It's not too difficult, right? If you decide to make one, I would love to see the results. Let me know if there's any part of the process that you have questions about.

Happy shower curtain making!

3 comments:

  1. awesome!! i used to be more creative, back in my pre-kid days. this looks like something i would've totally done. great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea with the table cloth! we just did a bathroom re-do as well and I used a duvet for the shower curtain. Thinking outside the box is what it's all about!

    Great re-do!!

    Katy @ eatdrinkanddecorate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful table cloth and great diy way to make it into a shower curtain! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!