I like weeknight meals that are relatively easy and very delicious. This recipe for chicken Parmesan, from Wegmans.com is exactly that. As you can see, this one is already half eaten. It didn't take too long to make, and I paired it with fresh broccoli, penne pasta and my homemade tomato sauce. It was a great meal that I plan on making again. I varied my recipe slightly.
1 cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1/2 cup plus 4 tsp Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 large Eggs, whisked until foamy
4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (about 6 oz each)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup Pure Olive Oil
1/2 cup Tomato Sauce, warmed
1/2 cup Shredded mozzarella Cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine bread crumbs and 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano in shallow bowl. Put flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls.
- Place chicken between triple thicknesses of plastic wrap; flatten with meat mallet to a uniform 1/4 inch. Remove from plastic; season with salt and pepper.
- Coat each chicken breast well with flour. Dip in egg until well-coated, then dredge in bread crumb mixture until completely coated.
- Heat oil in pan on stovetop on MEDIUM-HIGH, 1-2 min. Add chicken breasts, 2 at a time. (I used an electric frying pan with a larger surface area to cook more chicken breasts at a time.)
- Cook about 3 min, until edges turn golden-brown. Turn over; cook until chicken reaches 165 degrees internal temp (check by inserting thermometer halfway into chicken), about 3 min. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with rest of chicken.
- Place chicken on non-stick foil or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spread each chicken breast with 2 Tbsp sauce; top with 2 Tbsp shredded cheese and 1 tsp Parmigiano-Reggiano. Bake about 8 min, just until cheese is melted.