Friday, June 11, 2010

Banana Walnut Bread


I love banana bread. Especially warm from the oven. Whenever I have too-ripe bananas laying around, it's my go-to solution. Here's the recipe I like to use, found at SimplyRecipes.com

The only "problem" I have ever encountered, was forgetting to add the flour. Talk about not paying attention. Can you believe I did that? Yup. I put everything in else in, baked it for an hour, and couldn't figure out why it was a pan of mush. I was very disappointed when I realized it. I could almost taste that first bite of warm bread, but I ruined it. So don't forget the flour!   

This time, it came out perfectly. I usually skip the walnuts, but I've been on a walnut kick lately. It was definitely a nice addition. Enjoy!

Ingredients

  • 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions

No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Fold in walnuts. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!