Thursday, August 1, 2013

Blueberry Scones


It's blueberry season! I just love fresh blueberries. We live around the corner from a local farm where you can pick your own. That's right up my alley! Does anyone else enjoy picking berries as much as I do? Makes me feel like I'm a pioneer woman. I picked 4.5 pounds! 

Blueberries as far as the eye can see.


The really blue ones were in the middle.



I can (and do) eat them by the bowlful. I froze a bunch too. I also tried my hand at making blueberry scones for the first time. That's my go-to treat at Starbucks or Panera. Those things are good! I was pleasantly surprised to learn how easy they are to make. I've been enjoying them for breakfast. Delish! 

I used this recipe from La Petite Brioche.

Ingredients: 
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 stick cold unsalted butter, grated
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup cold heavy cream
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
extra heavy cream for brushing the tops
raw sugar for sprinkling the tops

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix 2 cups of flour, 1/2 cup sugar, the baking powder, orange zest, and salt. Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest speed. Combine the egg and heavy cream and, with the mixer on low speed, slowly pour into the flour and butter mixture. Mix until just blended. The dough will look lumpy.  Add the blueberries to the dough, and mix on low speed until blended.

Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it into a ball. Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough 3/4-inch thick. You should see small bits of butter in the dough. Keep moving the dough on the floured board so it doesn't stick.

Shape the dough into a square. Cut the square into quarters then cut again into eighths, diagonally, making triangles.

Brush the tops of the scones with heavy creme, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tops are browned and the insides are fully baked. The scones will be firm to the touch. Serve warm with butter and preserves.  



If you love blueberry scones as much as I do, you should definitely try this recipe. It's a perfect way to use any type of freshly picked summer berries.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!