Saturday, October 20, 2012

DIY Soy Candles

I've been wanting to make soy candles (and get a jump on some Christmas gifts), ever since Christy and Kimi made candle favors for my 30th birthday party.

 
They used baby food jars, covered with fabric and string - so adorable! 

I enlisted Christy's help one Sunday "crafternoon" and she showed me how easy it is to pour your own soy wax candles.

I bought a few bags of soy wax from AC Moore (using coupons of course), wicks, and liquid candle scents (in vanilla and cinnamon). The tutorial we used can be found here


I had a whole stash of thrifted glass punch glasses that were just waiting for a project like this. 

We started by setting the wicks in place with wooden ice cream sticks. Christy set to work drilling small holes in each one to keep it steady. 


Next, we heated the wax in small batches in boil-proof plastic bags in a pot of boiling water. Stir until all flakes are dissolved. My assistant always looks like she's up to something! 
Set the melted bag of wax into a glass container, large enough to hold all of it. Mix in a few drops of scented oil and stir with a chop stick or skewer. Carefully pour the hot wax into a glass measuring cup.

Carefully pour the measured wax into the vessel and keep the wick centered. I filled each punch glass with 4 ounces of wax.

Repeat the process until all your containers are full. I ended up filling 24 punch glasses. The process went pretty quickly once we got going. 

Transport the candles to a tray or heat resistant surface to set. Keep them as still as possible. They start to set pretty soon and begin to turn white again. 


Once the candles are completely cooled, remove the ice cream sticks from the wicks and trim the wicks down (still need to do that).


These turned out even better than I imagined and we had so much fun making them! I would definitely use soy wax again. Now I need to figure out a cute way to package them up and gift them. 


"Christmas Candles! Do we have more of these?" The Target Lady would be proud. If you're looking for a great homemade gift, these candles are sure to light up any recipients day!

A special thank you you Christy the "Craftinista" for her candle making lesson, photography skills and a wonderful crafternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!