Thursday, November 18, 2010

Over the River and Through the Woods...

Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother and Grandfather's house we go! Also known as Nana and Pop-Pop's house. We're heading for Pennsylvania and some homemade pumpkin pie. Literally. Ha! I wonder if there's any other songs I can incorporate into this post. I'm looking forward to celebrating the annual early Thanksgiving with the whole Ohl clan this weekend.

This year will be memorable as always, yet overshadowed with sadness, as Pop-Pop has been battling cancer for some time. He has been in our thoughts and our prayers, even more the past few months. It has been very difficult for the family to see him undergo treatments and experience pain and discomfort. There's not really more that can be done at this point. Which is very hard to come to terms with. We really love them both.

I am so thankful to be part of this family. Until I married my husband, I didn't have any living grandparents. It is such a blessing spending time with them, hearing their stories, and learning all those "grandparent" things they like to teach you. Like how to make applesauce. And how to make a leather belt. And about the time Blitzer the goat ran away. They are quite a unique pair, to say the least! Hunting, making things, building their own house years ago, growing gardens, telling those famous stories, again and again. I have only been an Ohl for the last five years, but they have taken up a special place in my heart. 

I also can't wait to see the rest of the Ohl's. Andrew's Mom and Dad, our Aunts and Uncles, Cousins, and Great-Grandma (Mammy). Maybe there will be a hayride or a fire for roasting marshmallows, like years past. Maybe I'll share some photos when I get back. If you think of it, your prayers for Pop-Pop would really mean a lot.

Happy early Thanksgiving, if you happen to be celebrating this weekend like we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!