Sunday, September 5, 2010

Shiskabobs


Before my parents headed back to Arizona, we made one of my favorite grilling meals, shiskabobs. You can purchase them ready-made at the grocery store, but you save money making them yourself. You can use your meat of choice, such as chicken or beef, cubed and marinated ahead of time. Veggies, such as green peppers, cherry tomatoes, pearl onions, mushrooms, or whatever you like.


We prepared beef and chicken kabobs. My Dad made this great marinade the day before, starting with 1/4 cup of olive oil, lemon juice, some cooking wine, garlic, basil and herbs. It was hard to pinpoint the exact recipe, because he used "a little of this and a little of that." Test it out as your mixing it, and just add  flavors that you like. It made the meat so delicious and tender!


I clean and chop all of my ingredients and make an assembly line. Then it's time to start skewering. I use long wooden disposable skewers. Yes, I make an order of items and I stick to it (I can't help it!). This is the most time consuming part of the process (and messiest). But it's so worth it!


Here they are, ready to meet the grill.


My grill-master husband cooked them to perfection.


We served corn on the cob and a tossed salad, perfect sides to go along with this already colorful meal.


My mouth is watering just looking at them. I may need to make them again soon...


Dinner was delicious and relatively simple. And it served 7. We usually end up with more than we need when we make these. It's always nice to have a few left over. A perfect summer dinner, shared with the people I love. What more could you ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!