Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy Birthday To My Seester!


Today, is my one and only sister Lisa's birthday. (It's a significant one, that's all I'll say) We have always had a unique relationship because of the years between us. Back in the day, she changed my diapers. Humbling, yes. I always wanted to tag along with her and her friends. When I was eight, I was the flower girl in her wedding. I have always looked up to my sister. When she was in high school, I thought she was so cool and grown up. I wanted to be just like her. I especially wanted her handwriting. Still do. And her Cabbage Patch Kid. Her's had a shirt AND a windbreaker! Mine had a sweatsuit. I'm pretty sure I got a second Cabbage Patch Kid because I whined so much. That's what's sweet about being the baby in the family. Growing up, she was a great big sister - she played games with me, taught me how to make a magazine picture collage, how to draw and how to swim. I'm sure she baby-sat me a bazillion times too.


Look at us ladies of the 80's. My Mom is on the left, rockin' a ruffled collar and embroidered sweater. My sister is in the middle, with perfectly feathered hair. No bump-it, this was all-natural people. Thanks to cans of Aqua-net hairspray. And that's little me with bows in my hair and a sour smirk on my face. Apparently I didn't want to cooperate that day.


I am so proud of my sister. She is an amazing wife and a Mom of two great kids. And she works outside the home. I hope to one day be able to care for my future family as well as she does. She is thoughtful, beautiful, creative, organized (have you seen her calendar and date book?), caring, funny, and a woman of God (just to name a few). I admire her faith and her boldness to stand up for what's right.


Here we are a month ago with Emma, Lisa's daughter (my niece). We aren't really the talk-on-the-phone-every-day kind of sisters, but we are always there for each other and have "catch-up" sessions to check in. We live just 2 miles away from each other, which is nice. Although we are different in a lot of ways, we are so similar in others. For example, we both love chocolate and hazelnut. And coffee. And reading. And sleeping. And like the house to be clean. And we're not the most spontaneous people. That's what's great about having a sister. Someone to share the same quirks and idiosyncrasies that no one else understands. I am glad God gave me a sister to share life with.

Happy Birthday Lisa! Love you.

P.S. Don't be mad at me for posting photos of you.

1 comment:

  1. what a great post! I love the picture from "back in the day"...The Colosi women were such cuties and are even more beautiful today!

    - Christy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!