Saturday, May 29, 2010

Good Deviled Eggs


Who doesn't love a good deviled egg? Is a "good" "deviled" egg an oxymoron? What exactly makes them so devilish? Is it the fact that I want to eat all 12 of them? We happened to have an abundance of eggs and I felt like making some. Plus, summer weather makes me think of picnic food. And everyone knows that any good picnic will have deviled eggs. Just in time for Memorial Day.

Here's the recipe I used as a guide, courtesy of Emeril Lagasse:

Ingredients
  • 6 eggs, hard boiled, cooled, and peeled
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (I used regular mustard)
  • 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon finely chopped chives (you can omit them, I happened to have some)
  • 4-6 squirts of hot pepper sauce (I used Franks Red Hot)
  • Paprika
  • Salt and pepper 
Directions

Slice all hard boiled eggs in half lengthwise and pop out cooked egg yolks into a bowl. Set aside empty egg white halves. Using a fork, work the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, chives, hot sauce and salt and pepper into the yolks to form a smooth paste. Taste. Add more hot sauce, salt or pepper if desired. Place this mixture in a baggie and cut the corner off (or use a pastry bag). Fill the egg white halves with the egg yolk filling. Top with paprika.

I could have made my filling look more decorative and less "blobby" if I used a pastry bag and star tip, but a baggie was so quick and easy to throw away after. I was also in a hurry to eat these bad boys, so I didn't care how they looked.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!