Sunday, March 3, 2013

Corky Mirror

I had been collecting wine corks for years, waiting for the right project to use them for. I also wanted to jazz up the mirror above our console table. One day, I put the two ideas together and decided to cover the wooden framed mirror with corks. A win-win! 

This is what the inexpensive wooden framed mirror looked like before. I actually have two of these, so I wasn't that worried about making a mistake. There are quite a few wood finishes in our living room, so I wanted add texture to this piece to create some visual interest. 

I gathered my cork collection to take stock. 

And roughly planned out the design on the floor. Even though I had many corks (we like wine, what can I say?), I still needed more. I solicited my family and friends collections as well, and they came through - big time! Turns out, we're not the only ones who enjoy vino (and save the corks). A BIG thank you to those who contributed! You know who you are. I couldn't have completed this project without your generous donations :) 


I used craft Wood Glue for the first time, and it dried quickly and held every cork in place. 


Truth be told, patience was the biggest requirement for this project. It took quite a while to pick out the right size corks and line them up to fit around the frame. Each cork is unique in size, so it was a puzzle fitting them together. 


I like the typography, graphics, quotes and sayings on each one. I ended up using exactly 200 corks! Real ones too, none of the plastic ones. 


Aside from one troublesome corner, it turned out as good as I hoped!


It makes for a much more interesting mirror, and I finally got to use wine corks for a project. 


There are SO many inspiring cork projects - these were all found via Pinterest. I still have corks leftover and may try another idea.


Anyone else have a collection of wine corks they've been saving? Anyone put them to good use? I like finding ways to repurpose items like this. Put a cork on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!