Sunday, March 4, 2012

Embellished Kitchen Towels

I got this cute and easy idea from my new friend Katie, whom I met at Triple C (Coffee, Crafts & Conversation). She made some of these adorable fabric embellished kitchen towels and they're for sale at her Etsy shop. The minute I saw them, I wanted to give it a try. What a nice gift these would be. 


I found 2 white 100% cotton hand towels at Walmart (.99 cents each). You could use the ribbed kind or bar towels. These are a little softer, like terrycloth. Pick out the fabric you want to use - you only need a rectangle as long as the towel, the width is up to you. Be sure to wash both the towels and the fabric first.

I started by ironing the fabric and measuring it face down on top of the towel. The finished size of mine were 14 inches long by 5 inches wide (so I added about 1 1/2 inches all the way around for folding under). Fold and iron the seams. 


Turn the folded and ironed fabric over and pin in place to your towel. I started 3 inched up from the bottom. Then sew all the way around and you're done! I like to use a zigzag stitch.


Here's the green one hanging on my stove. 


And the yellow one hanging in the bathroom. These would be great for the kitchen or the bath. 


The simple addition of fabric turns an ordinary towel into one that's beautifully customized and instantly pretty in any room. 


These would make a great hostess, housewarming or anytime gift. I kinda want to keep them for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!