Friday, June 10, 2011

Dream Car

Did you know that my dream car is a corvette? A Z06 to be exact. The 2011 is pretty a-maz-ing. Maybe you didn't know I'm a corvette girl. Surprising? I'm not even going to pretend that I really know cars or what's under the hood. But I do know that this is one fiiiiiine looking machine with a LOT of power. 

I think my corvette crush started when I was about 7 years old. Our family friend (and dentist) Dr. Al, let my Dad borrow his T-top stingray with side pipes, a couple of times. My Dad used to take me for rides in that exquisite car and I thought it was the coolest thing ever! I had to sit on a cushion just so I could see out the windows because the seats were so low. I was hooked ever since. 

Even Barbie knew how cool they were. Which only "fueled" (pun intended) my car crush.

However, not all corvettes are created equal. This 1990 model is NOT on my list of faves. In fact, I try to ignore the fourth generation (1984-1996) all together.

Thankfully the fifth generation got it's act together (1997-2004). I actually got to DRIVE a white one like this. Heather's Dad had a 1999 (or a 2000?) when we were in high school and he actually let me take it for a spin around the neighborhood. Be. Still. My. Heart. It was an automatic (I still don't know how to drive standard) and I remember my hands trembling as I drove it more carefully than I'd ever driven a vehicle in my entire life! Just thinking about the power and the speed that was under my control was nerve racking. And pure awesomeness! As careful as I was, I may have accidentally scraped the underside pulling out of my driveway...I sure felt sick about that! That was the first and last time I was behind the wheel of one of those beauties. 


Every once in a while, when I feel like dreaming, I visit the Chevrolet website. Did you know you can "build" your own corvette? How convenient. 


I'll take metallic red. No question. 


Chrome aluminum wheels for a little extra. Navigation system is a must. Oh, and an outdoor cover for upstate NY weather of course. Which brings it to about $91,300. They don't have any in my area, so I'll have to special order it. Right after I sell our house to pay for it. 


I cold see myself rolling up in a pink one too. Maybe they can match a Pantone chip. 


I unabashedly admire every corvette I see and will certainly let one in ahead of me in traffic just to gaze longingly as it zooms into the sunset. I'll usually glance over at the driver to see if it's a man or a woman, and 99.9% of the time it's a man, of the 40+ demographic, by himself. Is it an accurate observation that mature successful men are the primary corvette consumer? I certainly don't fit that profile!

The corvette is an American classic, a legend, a thing of beauty. One day I'll be behind the wheel of one again. 

It's nice to dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!