Monday, September 28, 2009

Baby Bibs & Burp Cloths


It had been years since I used the sewing machine that my Mom bought me when I was in about 9th grade (thanks Mom!!). So I decided this was the year I was going to join the sewing community and learn how to make real things (besides pillows, which was my limited specialty back in the day. And of course scruncci's) The first project I was inspired to tackle recently were these baby bibs and burp cloths. Lately there are a lot of glowing mom-to-be's that I know, so what better gift than some home-made goodies? I got the idea here, from my first blogging friend's site (thanks Larissa!). She used the adorable pattern found at Chickpea Sewing Studio. They were pretty easy to get the hang of. I used velcro instead of attempting to master snaps just yet. Be sure to wash your fabric first. A stronger cotton fabric for the front works well, and I used white terry cloth for the back. There are so many cute patterns that I could envision making adorable sets with. The burp cloths were about 17 x 9 inches, but you can make them narrower or shorter if you like. I added a thin layer of batting in between the fabric and the terry cloth for the burp cloths. I even got to see one of my bibs in action this weekend at a baby shower. Looks like it's working!

1 comment:

  1. The color combinations are so fun! Now that I have my machine, will you teach me your ways, Miss Sarah?! Please, I have lots of pregnant friends that will be needing gifts.

    Crafty Christy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!