Sunday, January 12, 2014

A New Year


I've been experiencing a mild case of bloggers block. I've been putting off posting anything in the new year, thinking it needs to be something significant or really great to start the year off on a high note. But I've got nothing. Well, not really nothing. I have projects to post and other things I could write about. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself. So, here goes a random post of nothing and everything to get the 2014 ball rolling. 

My husband and I took a couple days off work around new years and it was glorious. I definitely needed some down time and took full advantage of not having a schedule. I slept in. Watched movies and too much TV. Ate junk food. I didn't leave the house for 3 whole days (coincidentally the weather was terrible). I got to see my girlfriends. It was marvelous. I need to do that more often. 

I'm actually reading a fiction book, just for fun (Mockingjay, the final book of The Hunger Games). I was completely opposed to the concept of the story and the obsession that was sweeping the nation when the first movie came out. Now that I've watched the first and second movie, I need to know how it concludes and can't wait for the third movie, so I'm actually reading the book before the movie. Something new for me. 

My current cold weather drink of choice is a chai latte. I bought a carton of TAZO Chai Tea Latte Concentrate (the same stuff they use at Starbucks) and I've been mixing it with almond milk and heating it in the microwave. The perfect way to brave a chilly morning drive to work.

For Christmas, Andrew got me a beautiful keyboard (piano, not computer) with all the bells and whistles. It was a total surprise! I've always loved listening to and playing the piano, but I haven't tickled the ivories in years. I took lessons in elementary school, but I admit, I wasn't a very good student (I hated practicing and don't enjoy reading music). I prefer playing by ear and memorizing a piece. I am extremely rusty but I'm looking forward to picking it up and trying to learn to play again.

I celebrated my "1 year" anniversary working in my "new job" (which really is almost the same as my "old job"), but now I'm working for the same company that hired me for my first job ever, back in 1999. So, technically I've been working for, or with, the same company for almost 15 years, which is just crazy to think about. And a little confusing. But, I'm so thankful to be doing a job I still enjoy so much. 

In five days, my best friend of 16+ years will be moving 11 hours away. I am not too happy about this. Her husband has an amazing new job waiting for him and they are following God's leading. I know they wouldn't be going if it wasn't clearly God's plan for the next chapter in their lives. I'm going to miss them and their two beautiful kiddo's terribly. I took for granted the fact that we grew up together and lived in the same town all our lives. I know this just means we'll have to keep in touch more frequently, and I'm thankful for the many ways technology makes that possible and easy. I'm excited to see where this new adventure takes their family, but they'll be taking a piece of my heart with them.

I am trying (key word trying) to eat healthier and incorporate some exercise into my week. I know, I know, it's January, who isn't? But, honestly, my goal is simply to increase my intake of fruits and vegetables, limit sweets, and start using our elliptical. We even brought the elliptical up from the basement and into the sitting room to make it more convenient. Because who wants to work out in a cold dark basement? No one. I plan on using it a couple times a week. Especially since our group of girls apparently "agreed" to do a 5K in the near future. I better start training! 

That's a little snapshot of my life at the moment. I do like the idea of a new year and a fresh start with new possibilities. I have been encouraged by this scripture in Isaiah 43:18-19,
"Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert." 

I'm looking forward to what God has in store for 2014.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!