Saturday, April 21, 2012

Mammy Ohl

I want to remember Great-Grandma "Mammy" Ohl. Helen was 96 when she went home to be with Jesus on April 7, 2012. Can you believe that, 96? She lived a long life with children, grand children, great-grand children, and 2 great-great-grand daughters. I didn't get to grow up with either of my biological grandmothers, so when Andrew and I got married, and I gained grandparents and a great-grandmother, it was a blessing for me. 

Mammy had a quiet presence about her. She didn't really talk very much, unless you talked to her. She was sort of a mystery. I tried to get her to talk about her life and smile for photos, not always successfully. I remember going to her 90th birthday party. Quite a milestone! She never really liked a fuss, but the whole family wanted to celebrate her life. 


She was always there at every holiday. Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving. Dressed in her best. Usually sitting quietly, observing everyone and watching the kids play. She lived her entire life in Pennsylvania.

In the last few years, Mammy's mind wasn't what is used to be. She eventually had trouble remembering people and places, which was very difficult.

She wanted to live in her house as long as possible and she loved having her dog(s) by her side. Mammy made the most delicious chocolate peanut butter and chocolate coconut eggs - every Easter. It's no secret that she loved sweets! A woman after my own heart. We will miss you Mammy, but we'll see you again one day. I'm glad I had the chance to know you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!