Sunday, December 19, 2010

"C" is for Christmas Cookies


I decided it was time to make some classic cut-out Christmas cookies, with my Mom's sugar cookie recipe. I always like making cut-outs, even though it's a bit more work. Especially because I get to use the metal cookie cutters that our family has been using for years (with the addition of some new ones). My sister and I "share" the cookie cutters. By "share," I mean she currently has most of the originals in her possession. Mom was kind enough to find a similar set at a garage sale and mail them to me so I would have some too. Don't you just love how Mom's are always on the look out for you? Thanks Mom! However, I do miss the snowman and the angel. Hint. Hint. Lisa.


I recently purchased a spritz cookie and decorating press. Complete with different tips and shapes. Andrew thought it was a caulk gun. I guess it is...for frosting. I was excited to use it! It definitely made decorating cookies a much nicer experience than trying to slather on icing with a knife. Once I got the hang of it, I could make outlines and write letters. They didn't come out perfect, but I had fun trying it out. Until my hand started to hurt. And I had to disassemble and wash the entire thing each time I changed the color frosting I was using. And of course I needed four different colors. It's the artist in me. Can't do anything half way. But it was worth it. I had fun baking and decorating and listening to Christmas music.


If you're wondering why it looks like our kitchen table is smack dab in the middle of the kitchen, up against the cabinets, it's because it is. There wasn't a free inch of counter space while I was working. That's usually how it is when I'm cooking or baking. I make a mess and use every bowl and pan. Thankfully my husband was there to help me move the table into my workspace so I could ice cookies to my hearts desire.

See what I mean? "C" is for Christmas Cookies and Chaos in the kitchen. Tasting those delicious goodies was worth it though! They're not all for me, by the way. Although I'm certain I could consume all most of them, I will be sharing them. 

4 comments:

  1. I love to bake! And what fun when you have a new "tool"! They look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Katy! What is your favorite recipe to bake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your post tonight, Sarah, especially since today I had fun making gingerbread men from my mother's recipe, and then made a batch of spritz cookies with my old press. Your cookies look so beautiful and artistic! Hope that you and Andrew are having a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Anne! I don't think I've ever made gingerbread men, but I would love to try them some time. I hope you and Uncle Doug & the boys have a wonderful Christmas and New Years!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!