Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Sharpie Mug Wedding Gift

Sharpie mug projects have been making their rounds on Pinterest for a while and I've  wanted to give it a try. I was curious to see if it's as easy as it looks. Finding inexpensive plain white mugs was half the battle! For some reason they were difficult to find - probably because I was looking for them! 

The type of Sharpie is critical. I learned that OIL BASED Sharpie's work best. I found a variety of individual colors at Hobby Lobby. This tutorial was especially helpful and guided me step by step.  

My cousin Nicole and her fiance Matt are getting married in October, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to make a Mr. and Mrs. set to add to her bridal shower gift. 


I measured the area of the mug where I wanted my design to go, then I designed my type on the computer and printed it out. I cut out the paper and scribbled pencil on the backs. Then I taped the paper to the mug and traced the outlines of the type onto the mugs. Next, I drew the design right onto the mug with the Sharpie's and let it dry overnight. I baked them the next day at 425 degrees for 30 minutes - placing the mugs in the oven when it was cool, and leaving them overnight to cool completely after baking.

Aren't they cute? I would definitely like to make more of these. It was a relatively quick project and you can customize them for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!