Friday, April 2, 2010

Mom's Apple Pie

 

There is nothing like my Mom's apple pie. It tastes the best. That's all I can say. I have been saving this recipe since my trip to Arizona when we made a pie together. I wondered if I should share this recipe with the world, because then everyone would be baking delicious apple pies. But I know I'm safe, because my Mom will always have the magic touch.



McCall's Cook Book "The absolutely complete step-by-step cooking and serving guide", is where the recipe comes from. You know a cook book with a tag line like that is going to be good. Every time my Mom got it off the shelf, I knew something delicious was going to be cooking in the kitchen.

Here is the recipe, right off the page (click to enlarge):

 

We used this Betty Crocker crust mix. I know it's not completely from scratch, but it tastes the most like home-made, and you still have to "make" it. If you prefer to make your own dough, go for it.



Make the crust according to the package directions. Add water and mix to form dough.


Split the dough in half. One for the bottom crust, one for the top.


Flour your work surface and get out your rolling pin.


Now it's time to roll out...



Place the bottom crust into a deep dish pie plate.


You can prepare the apples before making the crust, or start them now. Peel and core 2 pounds of granny smith apples (enough to make 6 cups thinly sliced).

 

Slice and put them in a large bowl.



Mix together:
1 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
4 Tablespoons of flour

 

Add sugar mixture to the bowl of sliced apples and mix to coat well. 



Pour apple mixture into your pie plate with bottom crust.


Mound the apples higher in the middle and add 2 Tablespoons of sliced butter on top.


Carefully roll out your top crust, lay it over the apples, and crimp the edges closed. 

 

Cut a few steam vents in the top of the pie and brush the top with an egg, for that beautiful golden color.



Here is is, in all it's apple-pie-goodness. Ooooooh......aaaaaaahhhhh. Let it cool for a while to make cutting easier. I highly recommend serving it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

What's more American or delicious than home-made apple pie? Thanks Mom, for making countless delicious apple pies, and teaching me how!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!