Monday, February 1, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

 

I've wanted to make my own chicken pot pies for a while, so I finally gave it a try over the weekend. They came out really good. And molten lava hot on the inside, as chicken pot pies always are, when you open up the golden crust. I adapted a recipe from marthastewart.com. Leave it to Martha. Is there anything she hasn't conquered? Here's how I made mine:

Ingredients: 

2 Tbsp. butter
1 carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (or a large hand full of baby carrots, sliced)
1 medium onion
3-4 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
1 cup whole milk
1 can (14.5oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 rotisserie chicken (plain), skin and bones removed, meat shredded
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper
9-inch-round store-bought pie dough (from a 15oz package)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees, with rack in the middle. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add carrot, onion and celery. Cook until carrot is crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Gradually add milk and broth, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a simmer and thickens, 5 to 8 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat; stir in chicken and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Divide filling among four 16-ounce ramekins or ovenproof bowls; set aside.
  3. On a floured surface, roll out dough to a 15-inch round. With rim of your ramekin or ovenproof bowl, cut out four rounds; place one on each ramekin. Transfer ramekins to a rimmed baking sheet; bake until filling is bubbling and crusts are golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving. 
Here's a photo of Martha's beautiful pot pies (her's obviously looks better!). Her recipe calls for fennel and ham, which I omitted. She used 8-ounce ramekins, but I thought that was a little small, and I didn't have enough bowls that size. So I used 4 16oz servings, and it worked out great. My husband and I both liked them.



And in case talking about chicken pot pie leaves you with the same little song that oddly enters my mind, click here

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!