Wednesday, February 17, 2016

First Birthday Party


We celebrated our little Marshall turning ONE with a party at our home. I was so excited to plan his first birthday party! It was a lot of fun choosing a theme, making decorations, planning the menu and assembling favors and treat bags. Our guests and the kids all seemed to have a great time! We are so grateful and blessed by the love, thoughtfulness and generosity of our family and friends, some of whom traveled quite a distance, in not-good weather, to make our little boy's day extra special. Marshall is blessed, indeed!


I admit, I was initially a little disappointed that Marshall's birthday falls in the coldest month of the year, around here! The day of his party was no exception - below zero temperatures and lots of snow. BUT, he is our ray of sunshine and warms our hearts, everyday. So, I decided to go with a forest and winter woods theme. Marshall loves being outside, and it seemed like a natural choice. Trees, sticks, pine cones, wood - very boyish! I was especially excited to design his invitation and printed it on natural brown paper. 





The treats table was my favorite part! Pretzel "sticks", chocolate and vanilla cupcakes, popcorn, and chocolate number ones on a stick. My father-in-law cut all of the wooden discs for me to display food and use as centerpieces on the tables. Aren't they great!? They were exactly what I had imagined. And I don't think he minded the opportunity to use his chainsaw :) 


A lot of the decorations were "free." Marshall and I gathered pine cones and acorns on many of our walks together, and there was no shortage of sticks in our yard. I wrapped and glued twine to vases and jars that I already had. I had a collection of burlap runners from previous parties (you can never go wrong with burlap!). Conveniently, I was able to snag some little pine trees and additional pine cone garland on clearance after Christmas. I was also excited to display Marshall's completed photo series. I am so glad I did this. It's really amazing to look at his growth each month!



I used brown paper lunch bags for favors, and decorated them each with personalized initials cut from scrapbook paper. I also wrote each name and stamped "thank you" on the bottom of the bags. Inside was a coloring activity pack with crayons and stickers, a bouncy ball, a twisty straw, bubbles and fruit snacks. They were a hit! 



Marshall had so much fun playing with friends and opening gifts! 


And of course, eating his cupcake! He was all smiles when we sang "Happy Birthday" to him.


What a memorable day! Thank you to everyone for making is so special. We love you, Marshall, and can't wait to see everything you do in your second year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!